Timeline for Lundy-
From the mid 18th to early 20th century

Timeline index    Lundy Island     

A brief look around the rest of the site will show that one of the Anorak's favourite places is Lundy Island. It just happens that much of the island's key history took place at around the same time that this site covers.  This is a parallel timeline for the history of the island.  It has been kept separate from the rest in order to prevent too much crowding in the main section.


Thomas Benson takes over as lessee
1748

Thomas Benson lease ends
1754

The Jenny cargoship runs aground on the west side
1797
Gives its name to Jenny's Cove
Old Light completed
old light
1820
Designed by David Asher Alexander who also designed Dartmoor Prison. Constructed by Joseph Nelson.
Cost £36,000. At 96 feet high it was the highest in Britain at the time. 567 feet above sea level.
Stoneycroft built
1820s

Millcombe House completed
1838
Millcombe house
The Barn constructed
1839

William Henry Heaven converts castle to cottages
1850

Kistvaen barrow discovered
1851

"Giants' Graves" discovered
1856

Battery Point signal station constructed
1862
Cannon carry the inscription GR
Battery cannon
Lundy Granite Co leases island

Belle Vue Cottages built by Lundy Granite Co.

Work begun on Old Hospital around this time
1863
Millstone manufacture begins

cottages
Belle Vue cottages are staff accommodation today
picnic c.1864
The Heaven Family take a picnic at Benjamin's Chair. The photograph can now be seen in the Old School. 
Lundy Granite Co lease ends
1868
The Bait Hut built next to Trinity House stone
1870

Lower East Side Path cut for shooting parties
1871

Old Hospital abandoned
1881

The Old School (Blue Bung) constructed
1886
The blue bung
Henry Ackland becomes tenant farmer
1892
Ackland's Moor is named after him
Rocket Pole erected by the Board of Trade

Rocket Shed erected (now the museum)
1893

Castle Cottage built as Cable Hut
1894

North Light built by Trinity House
1896
Designed by Sir Thomas Matthews
South Light built

Battery Point signal station abandoned

St Helen's Church (now St Helena's) dedicated
1897

HMS Montagu runs aground on Shutter Rock 1906
Tibbett's (Admiralty Lookout) built
1909
Tibbetts